Week 5: REFLECTION BLOG2

Gina Adams

I really appreciated Gina Adams's Lawrence Installation. I enjoyed it very much. I really like her work of basketballs. I remember what she said that each basketball represented historical trauma. It really is. I was surprised that she connected identity with a specific thing, like basketball. This makes me think about how I could relate my creative work with my real life. I did not see the image on basketballs clearly, so I looked up her portfolios. I like the color of symbols and marking that she used on the surface of the basketball. She used many light colors instead bright ones. I was thinking about why she did that, and I think I got the answer in her words. These basketballs included the stories of "unidentified Native Americans whose identities being culture, name and homeland have all been lost". The colors are telling the sorrow, and I also felt sad about those stories that have been faded. 

I took this picture outside the Wriston. I saw the shadow behind the window.


I love her work of Treaty Quilts too. The incomplete sentences of treaty reminds me of McLuhan's quote on page 53. McLuhan wrote that "The instantaneous world of electric informational media involves all of us, all at once. No detachment or frame is possible (McLuhan, 53)". Although this work is unrelated to electric information media at all, the similar part is that there is no frame to restrict any kind of expression. She said that the quilt and what it represents transcended modern time keeping.The patterns and colorful words on quilts remain not only native people and Gina Adams herself. This enhances what I felt about connecting artistic work and human together.


评论

此博客中的热门博文

Week 3: the Eye of of the Beholder

Week 1: Come to my world

Week 2: REFLECTION BLOG